SGP-PEMSEA: Partners for Sustainable Development
The UNDP GEF Small Grants Programme (SGP) and Partnerships in Environmental Management for the Seas of East Asia (PEMSEA) believe in the inherent and important role of community-based organizations (CBOs), non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and people's organizations (POs) in sustainable development.
Our aim is to strengthen the role of CBOs, NGOs and POs in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA).
Focus and Concern
- Enhancement of synergies, common objectives and linkages of both programs through sharing and exchange of experiences and lessons learned in integrated coastal management, planning and applications, including the co-organization of conferences, seminars, workshops and site visits as may be appropriate; and
- Development of joint and/or complementary initiatives aimed at strengthening local capacities in the sustainable use and management of marine and coastal areas in the community level.
The partnership supports activities that will contribute to the improvement of the environment, enhance well-being and sustain livelihood, specifically:
- Biodiversity conservation
- Climate change abatement
- Protection of international waters
- Prevention of land degradation and reduction of persistent organic pollutants